I finally listened to the original cast recording of Back to the Future: The Musical, which is making its Broadway debut in June 2023. I can’t say I loved every song, though the new showtuned rendition of “Power of Love” is most welcome:
It also reminded me that years ago I started making my own musical version of the trilogy. Well, it wasn’t a musical per se—more like an anthology of songs dedicated to various secondary characters.
Here are the more fully formed songs ideas, which also have lyrics and a basic idea of the musical style:
- “The Easy Way” — a doo-wop tune sung by Biff’s henchmen (inspired by Billy Zane’s line in this scene)
- “I’m Jailbird Joey” — an outlaw country/blues song for Uncle Joey
- “Raise a Glass for Red” — an Irish ballad campaign song for Mayor Red Thomas
- “Can You Spare A Moment (For the Clocktower)” — a kind of military march for the “Save the Clocktower” woman
- “Reese & Foley” — theme song for an ‘80s buddy cop TV show featuring the two cops who take Jennifer home in Part II
Other potential song subjects I sketched out: Chester the bartender, Terry the mechanic, Farmer Peabody, and Principal Strickland.
(Not) coming to a Broadway theater near you!